Sunday, October 5, 2008

Some of the things I will miss being an M.O.B.

  • No cute patterned tights with skirts.
  • No one to hand down my wedding dress to (I figured I should just sell it now but D. talked me out of it. First time he's been sentimental in his life I think!)
  • Once they are grown and in relationships, I will always just be the mother-in-law.
  • Watching "chick flicks" alone.
  • No pink tutus and first ballet class. This coming from the woman who is about as graceful as a drunk rhino. Who knows, maybe grace would have skipped a generation?

That's about it. I'm sure a few more things will pop up over the years, but that's really about it. A fairly short list and nothing that can't be gotten over quite easily. Let's just say I'm not losing any sleep over it (although I am losing lots of sleep for other reasons!).

On the plus side, having another boy has probably saved us tens of thousands of dollars as I will not need to shop for new adorable girl clothes. There are a lot of cute clothes for boys out there, but for every one cute boy thing, there are at least 10 cute girl things.

On the down side, poor M. is probably rarely going to have anything new to wear (or play with) that hasn't been handed down from his big brother. And I'm sure J. will make a point of reminding him of that fact all the time. As a middle child of three girls, that bugged me a bit growing up, but hopefully boys don't care about that kind of stuff. And he does have a few new things that are his alone.

It's been a trying week without much sleep so this may come across as a little uninspired. We're trying to convince M. that he wants to sleep alone and though the night. He's not really going for it. I'm pretty sure he can sense my fatigue and weakness and is using it against me. Although I remember from last time, just when you got to the point where you thought you could not handle it for a second more and were mentally drafting the Craigslist posting to sell your baby, they tend to return from the dark side. It's like they just need to let you know who's really in charge and what they are capable of.

Stay tuned for my next missive on "Terrorists and Infants: A Contrast/ Comparison of their Techniques & Tactics".

2 comments:

DaBoss said...

Hey us F.O.B's have these same issues, but remember with every "con" comes a "pro":

con: Never giving the 20 questions to your daughter's suitor
Pro: not worrying she is coming home

Con: Not walking your girl down the aisle on her wedding day
Pro: Not paying for the wedding

Con: Not having a Kevin Spacey moment with your daughter's hot blossoming friends
Pro: Not getting arrested for being a pervert

It's a ying-yang thing.

And what about the endless pro's for a big kid-like dad.
- Video Game partners
- excuses to go to Superhero Movies
- Pizza-fests
- Gang-up on Mom on every topic

And on, and on.

You girls can keep your colouring and cute clothes...we got spiderman.

kelly said...

Okay M., it is likely because my boys are older than yours, but I have very recently come to terms with the fact that I will not be a M.O.G. I have taken some drastic steps. It could also have something to do with moving and the purging involved, but alas, here is my list:

Wedding Dress posted on craigslist? Check. Want proof? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/clo/847636447.html

Stellar Barbie doll collection (including clothing, pool and patio furniture) thrown in the dumpster? Check.

Beautiful, handcrafted doll house made by my grandfather converted into a parkade for hot wheels? Check.

I have not shed a tear to be honest. Here's why:

Incredible new soccer skills as a result of sooooo much practicing? Check.

New appreciation for the words "bum" and "poo" and all words that rhyme with them.

Checking out the cute construction guys and fire fighters under the pretense of looking at big trucks and machines.

Anyway, those girls clothes are lame. Pink sucks. Just ask my boys.

:-)