Monday, October 27, 2008

Brownies Are Now Pinkies

Update on the soother situation - it's one step forward, two steps back. M. is putting up more of a fight than I thought he was capable of. I will break him and he will sleep again. He has his fourth-month shots today so it probably won't be tonight. I plan to dope him up with Tylenol and hope for the best.

As for the title of this one, when I was picking up J. at preschool today, I noticed all these little girls running around in all-pink ensembles, then I noticed the sash with badges and my heart sank. They were Brownies, no longer wearing brown. They looked like little Barbies and it just made me sad. Yet another great childhood memory destroyed. Well, I guess my great memories of my Brownie experiences weren't destroyed, but just knowing that the integrity of the organization and all that it stood for was gone was heartbreaking.

Yet another reason I'm glad to have boys. I'm sure the Boy Scouts aren't all decked out in Buzz Lightyear or Lightning McQueen gear to appeal to whatever trend is hot. I'm sure they are wearing what they have always been wearing, but some genuius at the Girl Guides organization, in a knee-jerk reaction to declining enrollment, probably came up with the hot pink idea. And how backwards, degrading, and insulting to female intelligence is that? Yes, I know little girls like pink, but would it kill them, for an hour or two a week, to be part of an organization that focuses on personal achievement, sisterhood, learning, and challenging oneself rather than fashion? I'm sure Agnes and Olvae Baden-Powell rolled over in their graves when this came into effect.

I will still buy and eat their cookies, but I am feeling a bit soured towards the organization. I don't know what happened to the whole female empowerment movement in recent years, but it seems to be in cahoots with Paris Hilton and her ilk. Serenity now!

3 comments:

kelly-pie said...

You will happy to learn that, in fact, Brownies are still brown. Sparks are pink. Sparks are like mini-brownies (2 bite perhaps?). They can be 5 and 6 years old. http://guidezone.e-guiding.com/liz_hist_sparkpink.htm

I am personally thrilled not to have girl children so I don't have to buy those horrible Hannah Montana clothes and I'm able to avoid all things sparkly, glittery and pink. In my house, you are not allowed to have characters ( that's no Diego, no Mater, no Buzz) on your clothing UNLESS it's on your underwear. Okay, lunch bags are alright too. We are not billboards, we're people! Odd how those kids who are covered in disney and toontown garb are also the ones who poop their pants until they're 8. Hmmmm....I'm just saying....

DaBoss said...

Mmmmm girl guide cookies.
The best part of being a Vanilla lover is that you can eat 2-3 times everyone else as they only take the chocolate side (same technique with Neopolitan ice cream).

In my best Paris Hilton voice:
"Sparks....That's Hot"
I hated all those snooty Brownies, Guides, Scouts, etc. when I was a kid. Bunch of little "better than you" Hitler youth getting out of class early on Tuesdays. Or maybe because the local chapter was run by the crazy Natzi...oops, German family on my block.
Never met a Scout I liked. They were all geeks or army freaks. Now before you say "my brother or husband was a scout" be careful as you will find out what I think of them. It's not that I have some racism issues (well except for the Dutch...wooden shoe freaks) but it was their supreme being attitudes in their military uniforms. Take off that sash and come outside nature boy...lets see how well you untie some knotted undies after an atomic wedgie.
Sorry - venting a little there.

As for logo clothing, our family is a little nutty about no logo's or character garb. A couple of Old Navy shirts found their way into rotation but that is about it. I agree that we over advertise our kids.
Except in pajamas.
Spidey pj's rule!!!

DaBoss said...

Hey I thought Blogs were something updated reglularly. Your blog getting a little stale dated...change it from "blog" to "bleh".
Come on and start feeding me things to respond to. I need to make childish and bizarre comebacks. I don't care that you just bought a new house...unless you blog about it and I can retort some odd comment that is only funny to me (and after all, the world is all about me).

So put down the MLS listings and get typing.
Chop chop!!!