Friday, September 26, 2008

Psycho Killer - Qu'est-ce que c'est?

So ... is anyone else out there worried that their son might be the next big serial killer to hit Canada? Or perhaps a potential school shooter?

J., at the ripe old age of three years and 10 months, has developed a fascination, nay, an obsession, with guns and killing. He talks about it ... a lot. Thankfully, it's more often than not in a protective way towards me or his brother, M. as in "If someone tried to take M., I'd shoot them and kill them." So while the sentiment is strangely loving, it's still a bit worrisome.

There's also talk about when he's a big boy and can get a real gun. I'm hoping this is a completely normal developmental phase. Someone please reassure me of this. Growing up with only sisters, I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to deal with this. We were all about vicious name calling and the like. Not violence.

That being said, I did babysit for a family of three boys next door when I was a teenager and one of them pulled a butcher knife on his brother one time (the middle child, of course!) and all of them are normal, functioning adults so perhaps I need not worry too much.

He hasn't started torturing bugs or animals yet which I've read is a definite precursor to sociopathic tendencies so that's good news. Wait, he did kill a wood bug today, but it was accidental and he felt bad about it. Good sign. We had a funeral for it and burried it out in the yard after I explained to him what a funeral was.

As for the title of this post, I'm really hoping that most of you get the pop culture reference. I know my favourite husband and a F.O.B., R.H. will get it, but this is a test for the rest of you. I'm finally getting to an age where a lot of my pop culture references are totally going over the heads of younger people I encounter. I think I am offically old.

1 comment:

DaBoss said...

The fe-fe fire fire still burns. Loved that song --- danced many times with the white-man's overbite while playing air guitar at Tommy Africas (the original and not the bastardized Whistler one). Hmmm, in retrospect it was good thing it was dark in there.

Guns and little boys...how should I put it. It's like women and those shows on TLC. They know they are wrong but gravitate to them like moths to my porch light. So are boys and guns. Oh you can try to ban toy guns from a house, but even chicken nuggets bitten just right make a great Uzi.

As for TLC network...I wish the What Not to Wear freaks would take on Colin and Justin in a tag-team no holds barred cage match. Now that I would watch.
My money is on Stacy (she always has those pointy shoes --- which apparantly don't have to match your purse).