Sunday, September 21, 2008

Great comments!

Ah, I knew fellow M.O.B.'s (and F.O.B.'s) would understand! My community/support group is forming! And so far it's made up of laugh-out-loud funny people so even better! Thank goodness I'm neither crafty nor arty so I won't have to get over not sharing that with J. & M. J. does like to bake though so I'm going to have to ramp up my domestic skills in the kitchen.

I was thinking through my group of friends and there are actually a huge number of all boy families. Not that I'm excluding those with both boys and girls from enjoying this blog, but I think there is a unique dynamic to those families with only boys in the house. I distinctly recally my M.O.B. guru/mentor, K. (the Martha Stewart mentioned in the comments) telling me about how she and R. (aka Mr. Martha Stewart) would fight over whose turn it was to go to the emergency room when one of their boys got hurt because it happened with somewhat regular frequency.

For some reason, even before I had kids, I knew deep down that I was destined to be the mother of boys. I have no idea why I felt this, but I was convinced that it didn't matter how many kids I had, they would all be boys. Thankfully we are stopping at two so I'll never known for sure. But my gut tells me that my womb prefers the Y chromosome. I would be like that crazy family on TLC's "Kids By The Dozen", the Arndt's with 13 boys and 1 girl, except without the girl.

That show is like a car crash. I know I shouldn't be watching, but I can't look away. And why do all those crazy women all home school their children? They all do it! (I suspect it might have something to do with the theory of evolution versus creationism but that's just a hunch ...) If I had 14 or more kids, I'd be dancing a jig each time one of them went off to school! I was at a birthday party recently and was talking with another mom about how J. was about to start pre-school and she told me how she was disappointed because she hadn't been able to get her son into a "parent participation" preschool. Am I one of the only people who believes it's good for kids to have lives beyond their parents and on the flip side, good for parents to have lives beyond their kids? Because sometimes I think I'm in the minority. I think I actually laughed in her face and said that the whole reason J. was going to preschool is so that he would be out of my hair for a couple hours a day! Our conversation ended shortly thereafter. The sleep deprevation really had made me even more of a loose cannon than before. I'm sure I'm really going to p*ss somebody off one of these days.

Well, off to rustle up some semblance of dinner. M. has been waking up at night again for the last little while and so I am getting back to not really being able to handle much each day. I really think I could stay in bed and sleep for a week if given the opportunity. I can't wait for the teen years when we can all sleep until noon. Sigh.

M.

No comments: